Best 2018 Cars for Families
Well, June is finally here, and the schools are out for summer break, (or nearly there!), meaning family vacations are just around the corner! Whether you’re taking the whole gang on a long road-trip or driving to the nearby campground, the Travall team wants to make sure you’re enjoying the journey. So, we did a little research and compiled a list of the best 2018 family cars, and why.
We’ve taken the top winners of each category from Kelley Blue Book’s (KBB) 12 Best Family Cars of 2018 and the US News & Global Report’s 2018 Best Cars For Families. The categories are divided into SUVs (2-row, 3-row, and large), Cars, and Minivans. With vehicles of all sizes, one (or a few) are bound to fit your family size!
US News & Global Report tested 127 different 2018 vehicles, and KBB tests their cars all year long. Along with professional automotive reviews, here’s a breakdown of what was tested and considered for each vehicle to make the list:
- Safety – At the top of the list for most parents, safety is the number one consideration in both KBB and US News & Global Report awards. Each winner has the highest Overall Safety Rating in their category and the consideration of National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Value – Buying a car is an investment, so it’s understandable that Value is high up on this list as well! The luxury SUV and Car winners have a starting price in the $40,000 – $50,000 range, while all others, (including the Minivan winner), have starting prices in the low $20,000 – low $30,000 range.
- Reputation – I’m sure you will recognize most of the brands and even models on this list. There’s probably a good chance you’ve even owned, (or own), one of them! Having been on the market for years, these models are trusted for being reliable, well-made, and long-lasting.
- Driving Manners – Having a car that drives smoothly reduces headaches (and tummy aches) all around. Touchy brakes or acceleration delays can be dangerous and aggravating, but you won’t have to worry about any of that with this list of vehicles!
- Comfort and Convenience – Many of the features on these vehicles were designed with full-handed mothers in mind, with the wave of your foot you can open trunks and doors hands-free. Instead of wrestling with the seats trying to get them down, life is made easier with seats that fold down with the push of a button. Not to mention the added bonuses of heated seats, cooled seats, and quiet cabin rides for those sleeping children!
- Cargo Capacity – Looking at the vehicles that make the most of trunk space, ease of folding seats, and general cabin space, the winners on this list have room for soccer gear, big grocery trips, camping equipment, and even moving your kids to college.
- Child Seats – Ease of installation and removal, the safety of position, and access to the rest of the car are all things you think about when needing a car seat in your new car. To test these, KBB has installed Graco and Safety 1st child seats in each vehicle.
- Technology – Parking aid, review mirror technology, push to start, cruise-control, lane-keep assistance, and keyless entry are just a few of the newest technology perks to be seen on these cars. All of these increase the safety of passengers as well as making roads safer by helping prevent accidents.
And without further ado, here are the winners!
Best 2-Row SUV: Ford Edge
- Awarded Best Car for Money (US News and Global Report)
- Adaptive Steering and Cruise Control
- Lane Keeping System
- Browse our range of accessories for the Ford Edge at Travall.com
Best Luxury 2-Row SUV: Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class
- 2018 Top Safety Pick (IIHS)
- Gasoline or Plug-In Hybrid Power
- Panorama Roof
- Browse our range of Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class accessories at Travall.com
Best 3-Row SUV: Chevrolet Transverse
- Teen Driver Technology
- Underfloor rear storage unit in the trunk
- Surround Vision
- Browse our range of Chevrolet Transverse accessories at Travall.com
Best Luxury 3-Row SUV: BMWx5
- 2” LCD Headrest Screens
- Luxurious, Spacious Interior
- Wireless Charging Pocket and Wi-fi Hotspot
- Browse our range of BMWx5 accessories at Travall.com
Best Compact SUV: Honda CR-V
- 2018 MotorTrend SUV of the Year (MotorTrend)
- Heated Front Seats
- Hands-Free Power Tailgate and Blind Spot Information Systems
- Browse our range of Honda CR-V accessories at Travall.com
Best Luxury Compact SUV: Audi Q5
- Audi Pre Sense
- Smartphone Interface
- Hands-Free Tailgate Lift
- Browse our range of Audi Q5 accessories at Travall.com
Best Large SUV: Ford Expedition
- Wi-fi capacity of 10 hotspots
- Wireless charging pad
- Blind Spot Information Systems
- Browse our range of Ford Expedition accessories at Travall.com
Best Minivan: Honda Odyssey
- Power Sliding Doors
- Smart entry with walk away auto lock
- Honda Sensing
- Adaptive cruise control
Best Large Car: Kia Cadenza
- 7” Touch-Screen Display
- Surround View Monitor
- Autonomous Emergency Braking
- Heads Up Display
Best Midsize Car: Toyota Camry
- Sporty Styling
- Birds Eye View Camera
- Toyota Safety Sense
- Dual Exhaust
Best Luxury Midsize Car: Audi A6
- MMI Navigation Plus and MMI Touch
- Heads Up Display
- Pre-sense rear
- Browse our range of Audi A6 accessories at Travall.com
If one of these cars has perked your interest, visit the manufacturers’ website to find more information on the car you’re interested in. If and when you start to think about buying, be sure to do some research beforehand to make sure you get a good price. KelleyBlueBook and U.S. News Best Price Program are good places to get you started.
Now it’s time to get you and your family on the road. The Travall team wishes you safe travels and a vacation to remember!