America’s only real sports car: Jeep
When you think of a Jeep, what comes to mind? For me it’s rugged, off-road capabilities and the fact that it was an integral part of the war effort during WWII. I realized I really don’t know much about Jeeps and decided to find some fascinating factoids to share. These aren’t your typical Jeep facts either, I really did some research! I’m curious if YOU know all of these or not.
- You are probably familiar with the Willys name, but did you know it’s pronounced “Willis” not “Willies?” I definitely didn’t and will be the first to admit to calling it Willies, but I can put that firmly on the shoulder of someone who owned one and called it a Willies! Now I feel silly.
- Founder John Willys never saw a Jeep. He died in 1935 and the first Willys MBs (Jeeps) went into production in 1941. They even had a push button start and didn’t need keys!
- There were 11 different Jeep variations in production during WWII from 3 different companies, Willys, Ford and Bantam. (This might explain why I thought Jeeps were Fords until I was quite a bit older…)
- A single Jeep was actually awarded the Purple Heart after surviving two different beach landings.
- Enzo Ferrari famously said, “Jeep is America’s only real sports car.”
It’s up for debate whether this was a jab at other American manufacturers or a true compliment, your guess is as good as mine.
- The oldest surviving Jeep is a Ford! It’s on display in the U.S. Veterans Memorial Museum.
- There is a spider saying, “Ciao Baby” next to the gas tank on the Jeep Renegade. This is only one of many Easter eggs that Jeep has hidden around the vehicle.
- Jeep usually goes a full decade before redesigning any of their models, they don’t want to mess with perfection. The went even further, to 11 years with the 2018 Jeep Wrangler.
- Have you ever heard the saying, “Old Willys never die, they just go to South America?” I definitely haven’t but I want to know more! It’s from a great Jeep history.
Did I miss any interesting facts? Leave out a vital bit of information? I didn’t want to put a simple Jeep history up, aficionados already know that. Let me know if I missed something on twitter or facebook! I’ll be happy to add it to my list and give you all the credit!
Here at Travall we design accessories for your Jeep that are rugged, durable, and ready for anything. They’ve been created for the concrete jungle and the wilderness of America, but you won’t have to pick one or the other with us. From our world-class Travall Guard and Divider, the perfect barrier for your vehicle whether you need it for gear or pets, to our premium rubber products, Travall Mats and Liners, we’ve got the style AND quality you’ve come to expect.
Find products for your Jeep here at travall.com.